Lots of us vowed to eat healthier this year and some of us even made New Year’s resolutions to go more extreme, like quitting sugar. But some of the foods we consider healthy could actually ruin our diets. Here are the top five “healthy” foods to watch out for when you’re trying to eat better.
- Gluten-Free Food - Just because it’s gluten-free doesn’t make it healthy. There are plenty of packaged and processed gluten-free foods out there that are actually higher in calories, so know what you’re eating.
- Green Juice - Sugar is the bad guy here and lots of it. Cold-pressed juices are packed with veggies and fruits, but one popular bottled green juice has 52-grams of sugar, which is more sugar than five Krispy Kreme glazed donuts!
- Fat-Free Anything - Research shows fat-free and low-fat foods have up to 10% more calories and 40% more sugar than their full-fat counterparts. Taking fat out of something also takes away flavor, so to compensate extra flavoring and sugar are added and that’s anything but healthy.
- Trail Mix - We think it’s healthy because it’s got dried fruit and nuts, but the chocolate in there isn’t so great for us. It’s healthier to snack on unsalted nuts and when you’re craving chocolate, indulge in some dark chocolate, which is better for us.
- Acai Bowls - You’ve seen them on Instagram and they’re so pretty, they must be healthy, right? Well acai is a superfood, but when you pack that bowl with toppings like fruit, granola, and honey, it adds up to a whole bunch of sugar. Eat the acai, which is low in sugar and full of antioxidants, and skip all the high calorie extras.