Summer is unofficially here and one of the best parts of the season is eating outdoors. But all that fresh air and food can bring flies and these pests can ruin your al fresco dining, so here’s how to minimize flies at your next BBQ or picnic.
- Eliminate the breeding grounds - “Flies breed in decaying fruit and veggies, compost and manure,” explains Dr. Gabrielle Francis, a naturopathic doctor. So keep your outdoor trash cans far from your patio and keep them closed. And if you have a vegetable garden, pick the ripe ones and set up your eating area farther from the garden.
- Set up some fans - Wind poses a problem for flies, they just don’t have skills to fly well in a draft, so put out some fans and let the breeze cool you while keeping flies at bay.
- Make an herbal centerpiece - Some herbs with essential oils repel flies naturally, plus they look pretty in a jar. Fill a vase with a mix of basil, lavender, lemongrass, rosemary, or mint for a fragrant fly-repellent.
- Wear natural bug repellents - Those same essential oils will keep bugs off you, so look for a natural product containing lavender, rosemary, mint, and basil.
- Hide the drinks - Flies like sugary and yeasty things, so beer, wine, and soda draw them in. But using cups with lids and wiping up spills right away can help keep them away.
Source: The Kitchn