Most people go to parties to have fun, but when you know very few people at a gathering, things can get pretty awkward. Walking up to someone you don’t know to start a conversation is never easy, but standing in a corner twiddling your thumbs at a bash isn’t exactly a good time.
Well, Business Insider has shared some great ice breakers that may help you get through your next awkward gathering, and who knows, you may actually meet someone in the process.
Great party ice breakers include:
- “Hello” – It may sound simple, but sometimes all you need is simple.
- “I'll be honest, the only person I know here is the bartender, and I just met him two minutes ago. Mind if I introduce myself?” – Humor can be your friend.
- “Hey guys, do you mind if I join you just to eavesdrop?”- But only use in a group of three or more.
- “How did you hear about this party?” – A great conversation starter that will likely lead to a larger conversation
- “Hmmm, I'm not quite sure what that dish is. Do you know?” - Food is always fun to talk about.
- “This is my first time at this conference. Do you know anything about...?” – You may find another first timer who is also in need of someone to talk to.
- “Are you from around here?” – Will allow both parties to talk about themselves.
- “Have you started watching ...?” – Most people love to talk about their TV faves.
- “Great shoes!” – Everyone loves a compliment.
- “Did you all come here together, or did you meet here?” – A great way to break into a group conversation.
- “I'm tired of talking to my friends — I see them all the time. What are you guys talking about?” – Hey they don’t know you really don’t know anyone.
Source: Business Insider