Some singles out there who are looking for love feel the need to follow the dating “rules.” But who invented these rules and decided we should follow them? Love experts say it doesn’t matter and advise breaking these dating rules and being yourself instead.
- Rule #1: Waiting three days to get back to someone - “If you like someone, don’t play the waiting game - call or text the next day,” advises Erika Kaplan of the matchmaking site Three Day Rule. She points out their company’s name is making fun of this dating rule.
- Rule #2: Avoiding serious questions early on - Some advise steering clear of topics like politics and religion, but research from OKCupid finds talking about politics can actually improve your dates.
- Rule #3: Having sex after X amount of dates - Online dating coachErika Ettin explains that every relationship is different and advises “do what is right for you.”
- Rule #4: Avoid talking about your exes - Getting into too much detail and rehashing the past could ruin the romantic mood, but relationship/dating expert Charlee Brotherton says asking a few light questions about past relationships can be very revealing and a good way to learn about the other person.
- Rule #5: Thinking you should immediately hit it off - Don’t write someone off just because you don’t feel instant chemistry. Kaplan points out that half the time that initial pull is more lust than love, so if you’re intrigued after the first date, give it some time to see what happens.
- Rule #6: You’ll know if they’re “The One” right away - If this was true, there’s be a whole lot less breakups and divorces. Matchmaker Stef Safran explains that most long-term couples didn’t know right away or even months later, so it’s okay if you can’t tell instantly.