Even if you get along with all of your co-workers, there are always those few who do things to annoy you on the job. Some employee behavior has been known to be at best inconsiderate, and at worst, downright gross.
So, what are the worst things people do that annoy their co-workers? Well, here are some and if you’re guilty of them you may want to make some changes fast.
- Hogging the bathroom for social reasons – It’s not uncommon for people to bring their phones into the bathroom with them, and this could be a big problem if your office has solo bathrooms instead of several stalls. At one New York office a gal used to hog the bathroom to be on Tinder, prompting a fellow employee to post a sign “stop swiping and start wiping.”
- Fashionistans who reveal too much – Even if your company doesn’t have a dress code, there are some things that are just inappropriate for the workplace, and often times very revealing outfits can be very distracting to co-workers.
- Paying attention to your phone, not the people you are with – Too many people are guilty of looking at their phones during meetings, which basically is just telling someone there’s something more important than whatever it is your discussing.
- Faking special needs to get preferential treatment – Apparently some employees think it’s okay to lie in order to get special accommodations at the office, like sitting near windows, or bringing their emotional support animals to the office.
- Bringing stinky fitness gear to their work station – Yes it’s great for your health that you bike to work, or exercise before the office. It isn’t so great that your co-workers need to see and smell you drying your stinky clothes at your desk.
- Overloading workspace with personal belongings – Okay, it makes sense to have some personal belongings by your desk, like say a nice pair of shoes so you can change out of your commuting shoes, but some people take things to an extreme.
So, what do you do if encounter any of this annoying behavior in the workplace? Well one expert notes you should try and bring up the subject in a humorous way, and if that doesn’t work, talk to the offender but not a defensive one. While you may want to say nothing at all, holding back could be worse, so just try and approach the subject as direct as possible.
Source: New York Post