If you’ve been dealing with lags, crashes, and battery drainage on your phone, you’ve probably thought it might be time to replace it. But before you go broke buying a new phone, try a little spring cleaning to refresh your smartphone. Tech expert Andrew Moore-Crispin says phones can accumulate a lot of junk from downloads, apps, pictures, and more, but clearing that clutter can help get the phone running like new again and these tips can guide you through the process.
- Get older photos off your phone - Have more than 1 GB in your photos? Consider copying photos and videos to another storage space, like iCloud or Google Photos, so you can delete them from your phone and free up a lot of space.
- Take inventory of the apps you have and get rid of the ones you don’t use - If you haven’t used an app in a while, it’s probably time to get rid of it. Moore-Crispin advises, “Be more mindful of the apps that might be taking up data, slowing down your device, and eating battery life.”
- Organize your remaining apps - Move the apps you use the most to the home page and you may want to compress and organize your apps into smart folders.
- Deny location tracking - Some apps, like Lyft and Uber need location tracking, but not all of them do, and allowing apps to track your location can drain your battery.
- Clear your cached data - While it can help you save on mobile data because you’ll have quicker load times, spending more time online means more cache, which can slow your phone down. So clear it to get things moving again.
- Get your charging port cleaned by a professional - They have a special tool that can remove dust, lint, and debris that may be in there.
- Don’t be afraid to hit reset - If the system freezes or apps won’t launch, you can start with a clean slate by doing a factory reset, Moore-Crispin explains. Just remember to back everything up first since it’ll be deleted from your phone.
- Make sure your phone is up to date - Older phones may need some extra TLC, so keep them updated so you’ll have the best experience.
Source: Hello Giggles