While it may be common to hear your friends complaining about their jobs, it turns out a lot of people actually aren’t that unhappy with their gigs. In fact, many people are actually working in their dream jobs.
A new poll finds:
- 43% of Americans say they are currently working in the job they dreamed about as a child.
- Another 19% previously worked in their dream field.
- The average person landed their dream job at age 23
- Top jobs folks dreamed of having when they were a child include:
- Doctor/nurse (33%)
- Lawyer (24%)
- Actor/actress (23%)
- Artist (22%)
- Teacher (21%)
- Singer/musician (21%)
- Scientist (17%)
- Dancer (14%)
- Professional athlete (14%)
- The survey also wondered what influenced folks to pick those dream jobs, and parents played at least a partial role in that decision.
- In fact, 34% of people say their parents’ job influenced their career trajectory.
- But parents weren’t the only influences, and in fact, weren’t even the biggest ones.
- Other influences include:
- The activities I participated in as a child (sports, clubs, etc.) (50%)
- The media I consumed (TV shows, books, etc.) as a child (40%)
- The ways in which I played as a child (35%)
- The toys I played with as a child (32%)
Source: SWNS Digital