While a lot of people enjoy a glass of wine or two, few are so particular that they follow so-called wine-drinking etiquette. And while wine snobs may look down on those people, it’s pretty apparent they are not in the minority.
This research was conducted by OnePoll, on behalf of Woodbridge Wines and it finds:
- 67% of people feel that there are right and wrong ways to drink wine.
- But only 17% say they “always” follow the rules.
- In fact, close to 80% don’t follow wine rules at all.
- 75% say these wine-drinking rules can be intimidating.
- So, what are some of these wine rules people have no problem breaking?
- They include:
- Drinking white wine at room temperature instead of chilled (46%)
- Holding a glass by the bowl rather than the stem (44%)
- Adding ice to wine (43%)
- Filling their glass to the top (42%)
- Sniffing the cork (36%)
- Tasting wine while wearing strongly scented perfume/aftershave (34%)
- Drinking wines “out of order” (e.g. red before white, sweet before dry, etc.) (32%)
- Drinking without looking, swirling, or sniffing (32%)
- Gulping wine down quickly (25%)
- Pairing wine with non-traditional foods (19%)
- And it sounds like there’s good reason for folks not to care.
- Only 22% of people say following traditional wine drinking guidelines “greatly” enhances their drinking experience.
Source: SWNS Digital