While a lot of people enjoy a glass of wine or two, few are so particular that they follow so-called wine-drinking etiquette. And while wine snobs may look down on those people, it’s pretty apparent they are not in the minority.
- 67% of people feel that there are right and wrong ways to drink wine.
- But only 17% say they “always” follow the rules.
- In fact, close to 80% don’t follow wine rules at all.
- 75% say these wine-drinking rules can be intimidating.
- So, what are some of these wine rules people have no problem breaking?
- They include:
- Drinking white wine at room temperature instead of chilled (46%)
- Holding a glass by the bowl rather than the stem (44%)
- Adding ice to wine (43%)
- Filling their glass to the top (42%)
- Sniffing the cork (36%)
- Tasting wine while wearing strongly scented perfume/aftershave (34%)
- Drinking wines “out of order” (e.g. red before white, sweet before dry, etc.) (32%)
- Drinking without looking, swirling, or sniffing (32%)
- Gulping wine down quickly (25%)
- Pairing wine with non-traditional foods (19%)
- And it sounds like there’s good reason for folks not to care.
- Only 22% of people say following traditional wine drinking guidelines “greatly” enhances their drinking experience.
Source: SWNS Digital