A lot of people in the country have some sort of debt they are paying off, and apparently all that debt is having a negative effect on their lives.
A new survey finds:
- The average American loses over 200 hours a sleep each year over the money they owe.
- The average person also experiences three “debt nightmares” each week.
- Debt is affecting folks’ lives in a variety of ways, including an increase in:
- Anxiety (38%)
- Stress (33%)
- Moodiness (32%)
- 69% of people say debt has caused them to withdraw from things they love to do.
- 76% of people say they’d be willing to give up doing and buying things they want if it meant getting themselves out of debt.
- Things they’d be okay sacrificing include:
- Vacation (49%)
- Date nights (28%)
- Attending a wedding (36%)
- A night out with friends (33%)
- Debt can also be a stumbling block in relationships, with close to 60% of people saying they’ve considered putting off marriage because they didn’t want to inherit their partner’s debt.
- 54% even believe if a partner’s in debt it could be a reason to consider divorce.
But when it comes to debt, certain types are more concerning to people than others.
- The survey finds the worst kinds of debt include:
- Credit card bills (45%)
- Medical loans (34%)
- Mortgages (32%)
- Student loans (31%)
- Personal loans (29%)
Source: SWNS Digital