Are you obsessed with your pet? A lot of Americans are, according to new research on pet owners. A survey of 2-thousand cat and dog owners finds that 25% would consider getting a tattoo of their pet, 25% are already planning to get one and 16% already have a pet-themed tattoo.
But getting inked isn’t the only way people honor their fur babies. The poll also finds:
- Nearly half (44%) of respondents own at least one item with a picture of their actual pet on it, most commonly clothing (21%).
- Another 42% own something with an animal that looks like their pet on it.
- Beyond clothing, popular pet-themed items include stuffed animals or toys (19%), keychains (17%) and phone cases (17%).
- People are more likely to buy these pet products for themselves than to receive them as gifts (49% versus 40%).
- A third of respondents have custom-designed their own pet merch and 51% are sure they’d be able to sell it to other people as well.
- That may be because six in 10 pet owners are convinced their cat or dog has what it takes to become a viral sensation and 36% already have a dedicated social media account for their pet.
- Nearly a third (31%) talk about their pets to break the ice in conversations, more than topics including family relationships (31%), hobbies (30%) and favorite shows or movies (28%).
- Pet owners estimate that 36% of all of their conversations end up being about their pets.
- People love talking to their pets, too, as 55% have conversations with their pets when no one else is around and 48% admit they’ve told their pet a secret they’ve never told another person.
- Compared to other pet lovers they know, about two-thirds (68%) think that they’re significantly more obsessed with their pet.
Source: SWNS Digital