They might not make it to church every Sunday, but 79% of Americans believe in God or another higher power, according to a new survey. The poll by the Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research asked 1,680 U.S. adults about their beliefs and finds that 69% think angels are real.
The survey also reveals:
- 83% of adults believe that there are things that science or nature can’t explain, and 86% of those people also believe in God or a higher power.
- Nearly three-quarters (72%) believe in the power of prayer.
- While 69% of respondents believe in heaven, only 58% believe in hell and 56% believe in the devil.
- Almost two-thirds (63%) believe in karma, while 42% believe that spiritual energy can be rooted in physical things like plants, rivers, or crystals.
- About a third of respondents believe in reincarnation (34%), astrology (34%), and yoga as a spiritual practice (33%).
- Half of those surveyed believe that spirits of those who died can interact with the living.
- Only 6% don’t believe in anything asked about in the survey.
Source: AP NORC