Wouldn’t it be great if we had magical little birds and mice to help us clean up like Cinderella did? Since life isn’t a Disney movie, we’re stuck doing the chores around the house ourselves and for a lot of us, that means piles of clothes, dirty dishes and dust are part of daily life.
But that’s not the case for everyone. There are some people out there who manage to keep their homes tidy and clutter-free pretty much all the time, no magic or animal assistance required. So how do they do it? Here’s what real people who say they’re good cleaners do to keep their spaces neat and organized and their best cleaning advice so we can do the same.
Things these neat freaks do every day to keep their space clean and organized:
- Make sure everything has a home and putting things back in their place after using them.
- Make the bed. (Pretty much all of them say they do this, even if no one else will see it!)
- Don’t leave dirty dishes overnight.
- Clean clutter from countertops and surfaces.
- Clean up and put stuff away as it gets used throughout the day.
- Don’t own a lot, so there’s less to tidy up.
Best cleaning advice from the good cleaners:
- Break cleaning chores up into chunks during the week so it feels more manageable.
- If it’s a task that only takes a few minutes, do it right away, like hanging your coat up.
- Invest in a cordless vacuum.
- Don’t leave stuff sitting around, no matter how tired or busy you are.
- You’ll save time by putting things in their place.
- Clean a little every day.
- Stick to a cleaning schedule so you’re never overwhelmed.
Source: Refinery 29