In a perfect world, we’d wake up feeling happy and energized every single day. But here in real life, some days we wake up and feel a little off, sometimes for no good reason. But it’s totally normal and doesn’t need to drag your whole day down. Everything from a bad dream to not getting enough restful sleep can leave you waking up grumpy, but the key is knowing how to turn your mood around. Here are some expert tips for pulling yourself out of a bad morning mood.
- Give yourself a little time to wallow - You’re not going to feel happy every minute of every day and experiencing a range of emotions is totally normal.
- But you have to fight the urge to lie in bed - Waking up and feeling down may make you feel like you can’t leave your bed or deal with anyone today, but that can actually make you feel even more bummed out if you do it too long, warns psychologist Lily Brown.
- Try to get your blood flowing - If you can manage to drag yourself out of bed, anything you do to get your body moving will probably make you feel better, from simply taking a shower to hitting the gym.
- Practice mindfulness - Pay attention to your thoughts and how your body feels because therapist David Klow says recognizing the source of your morning mood can help you get rid of it faster.
- Connect with someone else - Something as simple as texting a friend to check in can help. Klow says we’re all wired to connect and finding someone to connect to can help boost your mood.
- Go easy on yourself - Keep it all in perspective and remember feelings are temporary. Everyone gets in a funk or a bad mood, so when you feel off, try to look on the bright side and know that this too shall pass.
Source: Well and Good