With gyms closing during the pandemic, a lot of folks needed to find new ways to get moving, and while some may have bought Peloton bikes, it seems the majority of Americans found a simpler form of movement – walking.
A new Rockport survey finds:
- Americans are walking more than they’ve ever been before.
- 53% of Americans say they’re walking one to five miles more a day as compared prior years.
- 36% are walking one to two miles a day.
- 21% are walking three to four miles.
- And while getting their steps in is good for their physical health, many people are walking for other reasons.
- 57% say walking is a stress reliever.
- 67% agree that it helps clear the mind and makes them feel like they have control over their lives.
- In addition, 33% say they use a walk to get a break from work.
- 28% say walking together is a good time for families to reconnect.
- And now that they’ve increased their walking, most people don’t plant to give it up once things go back to normal.
- In fact, 93% of people say they are very or somewhat likely to continue walking once health restrictions are lifted.
- And 61% say they appreciate their daily walks more now than they did before the pandemic.
Source: Yahoo Finance