Are you satisfied with your sex life? The idea of a “good” sex life is totally subject and looks different for every couple, but it is important to figure out what works for you. Psychologists and relationship experts John Gottman and Julie Gottman have spent their careers studying couples and they’ve found some common patterns between couples who report having great sex lives. Based on the results a study of 70-thousand people in 24 countries, these are their tips for a better sex life and none of them involve what you do in the bedroom.
- Say “I love you” at least once a day - And really mean it! Take the time to express your emotions rather than just rush through the “love yous” like at the end of a phone call.
- Kiss your partner passionately - Do it often and for no reason at all because kissing releases feel-good hormones and increases intimacy between partners. So spark that flame with a spontaneous smooch!
- Cuddle together - The Gottmans found cuddling is an important part of a good sex life, with 96% of non-cuddlers in the study reporting they have a “bad” sex life.
- Show your affection - You don’t have to make out in public if PDA isn’t your thing, but something as simple as holding hands is a way to express your love in a public setting.
- Have a romantic date at least once a week - The romance part is important, but it could be as low-key as cooking a meal together or watching a movie, while cuddling, of course.
- Take romantic vacations - Carve out some time and space for a small change of scenery if you can. Putting your relationship in a new environment can create space for your romance to grow and new adventures with your S.O. can make your connection stronger.
- Give compliments - Even little ones, like, “I really appreciate you coming to my work event,” can be very meaningful to your partner.
- Stay good friends - You probably love your partner, but it’s important to like them, too. At the core of every healthy friendship is a strong emotional connection and strengthening the friendship in your relationship is one way to boost your sex life.
Source: Mind Body Green