The NFL season officially kicks off tomorrow, and while a lot of folks will be upset if their team loses, it seems even more will be pretty broke. According to a new study by the American Gaming Association, more than 45.2 million Americans, or 18% of the U.S. adult population, will be placing bets on NFL games this season.
As for where they’ll be making those bets:
- 21.7 million Americans will place casual bets with friends, an increase of 31% from last year.
- 19.5 mil will do their betting online, either legally or illegally, an increase of 73% from last year.
- 14.6 mil will take part in paid fantasy contests or other pool competitions.
- 10.5 mil will place their bets at a legal sports book.
- 6.7% million will go to a bookie to place their bets.
- Overall, 37% of NFL fans plan to place a wager this season.
- That number goes up to 47% for self-described avid NFL fans.
- 25% of NFL fans are more excited for this season, as compared to previous seasons.
So, with all this betting going on, who do folks think will win it all this year?
- When asked who they’d place a bet on to win the Super Bowl this year the Kansas City Chiefs were the top choice (15%), followed by:
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers (11%)
- Dallas Cowboys (7%)
Source: American Gaming Association