Halloween is just around the corner, and it sounds like a lot of people will be opening up their wallets to make this year’s celebrations special.
A new LendingTree survey finds:
- 75% of Americans will spend money on Halloween this year.
- 24% of parents with kids under 18 plan to spend more than they can afford.
- So, what is everyone spending their money on?
- Top Halloween expenses include:
- Candy (53%)
- Pumpkins & carving supplies (24%)
- Outdoor decorations (22%)
- Costumes for the kids (20%)
- Indoor decorations (20%)
- Costumes for myself (19%)
- Costumes for my pet (9%)
- 41% of folks say they are planning a special splurge for Halloween, with the most popular splurges being costumes (9%) and themed activities like haunted houses (8%).
- 47% will overspend simply to make their kids happy.
- 23% of Gen Z will spend more simply due to FOMO.
- 60% of Gen Z and 52% of parents with kids under 18 will spend big for Halloween in order to use it for their social media posts.
- As or how most people will be spending Halloween this year, the most popular activities include:
- Watching a scary movie (32%)
- Buying Halloween treats (32%)
- Decorating their homes (27%)
- Dressing up in a costume (21%)
- Going trick-or-treating (19%)