While farting is a bodily function that everyone does, a lot of people are really embarrassed by it, and will go to great lengths not to let one rip at the wrong place or wrong time.
A new Gas-X poll finds:
- 68% of Americans say passing gas is the thing they are most embarrassed doing in public.
- That’s more embarrassing than:
- Having something in their nose (49%)
- Hiccuping (46%)
- Burping (45%)
- Finding food in their teeth (44%)
- Snorting (44%)
- Sweating (44%)
- Discovering their zipper is down (43%)
- People are so embarrassed breaking wind that holding back their gas has resulted in 338 close calls a year.
- 42% of people say these close calls happen while out dining.
- 47% say they happen while traveling.
- 26% of people say the worst place to pass gas is during a work meeting or professional outing.
- And it doesn’t even have to be in person, with 55% of people saying they have muted themselves on virtual meetings to relieve their gas.
- So, what do you do if you just can’t help it and let one rip in public?
- Well, 26% of people say they simply pretend it didn’t happen.
- And while it may be particularly embarrassing to have gas on a date, it won’t necessarily ruin a relationship.
- 24% of people say if a date farted they would just give them a look.
- 23% would joke about it.
- 19% would pretend nothing happened.
- The poll also notes that the average person will feel comfortable no longer holding it in after about six dates.
- Although 44% of people say their gas has ruined an evening of love, while 43% say it was their partner's fault.
Source: SWNS Digital