Among the millions and millions of videos you can find on TikTok are those filled with cleaning tips and hacks, known as “CleanTok.” Some of them are actually useful, but others really aren’t, and some are downright dangerous or destructive, so it’s important to know what works and what doesn’t.
These are the do’s and don’ts of the viral CleanTok trends of 2022:
- Do: Laundry stripping - If your clothes are washed correctly every time, you don’t need to do laundry stripping, but since they may not be, laundry stipping is harmless and satisfying to watch. To do it, soak your laundry for a long time in a bathtub filled with hot water and detergent to remove built-up dirt, soap and fabric softener.
- Don’t: Wet your air fryer - Some CleanTok videos advise filling the basket of your electric air fryer with water to clean it, but there are easier and safer ways to do this, so skip the water.
- Do: Use a pan lid to clean upholstery - Using a pan lid as a super scrubber to clean carpets and upholstery was a big trend this year and this one is a keeper.
- Don’t: Overload your toilet - TikTok loves this one because it looks pretty when you fill the toilet with every cleaning product you can think of, then flush them away. But it’s bad for the plumbing, so don’t.
- Do: Make your own disinfectant - DIYing your own cleaning supplies can be fun, but only if they really work and this one made with fresh pine needles and vinegar really does.
- Don’t: Put air fresheners in your radiator - Some folks on TikTok say you should freshen up your radiator with actual air freshener, but they’re wrong. It might smell nice, but it’s not worth mixing potentially flammable solutions with one of the hottest appliances in your home.
- Do: Upgrade your sweeping technique - An easy viral CleanTok trend that works well is wetting a paper towel before sweeping dirt and dust over it with a broom. The wet paper towel hangs onto the bits of mess in a way your dustpan can’t, so this one is a keeper.